follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: WK-58
Corporate Name: J. C. Hill Lumber Company
Local Name: Blue Hole
Owner Name: J. C. Hill Lumber Company. A. B. Ziegler and James W. Killingsworth with J. M. Gossage.
Location: Three miles northwest of Dodge
County: Walker
Years in Operation: 6 years
Start Year: 1905
End Year: 1910
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1905 to 1910
Town: Northwest of Dodge
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: International & Great Northern
Historicial Development: J. C. Hill Lumber accepted a mortgage from Ziegler & Killingsworth in March, 1905, for a planing mill and sawmill located about just west of Dodge. The latter contracted its output to J. C. Hill Lumber and received permission to move the sawmill to “Blue Hole” about three miles northwest of Dodge on Wysinger Road. The company the planing mill at Dodge. This plant was listed in the Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association, January 1905 and again in 1907. In 1907, the business failed because of its indebtedness and was sold to J. C. Hill Lumber for $1.00, valuable considerations, and the latter assuming the indebtedness. Equipment included a sawmill, a planing mill, shed buildings, houses, commissary, residences, thee log wagons, oxen, two log cars, wooden tram road, feed houses, and a stocked commissary. The 1910 Census enumerated the Hill lumber mill at Precinct 6, Residence 14. It employed fifteen workers, including J. W. Mayfield, mill manager; Rhoda Mayfield, sales lady; John C. Mayfield, log scaler; W. E. Phillips, carpenter; Willie Ward, fireman; W. W. Gossage, saw filer; and Noah Hawkins, planer foreman. Walker County Bills of Sale Records note that in 1910 Hill Lumber was contracting its cut with Vaughan Lumber Company. Ziegler & Killingsworth also had a mill at Phelps.
Research Date: MCJ 03-31-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson