follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: BO-27
Corporate Name: E. A. Stewart
Local Name: The Newtown Mill
Owner Name: E. A. Stewart, president.
Location: Texarkana
County: Bowie
Years in Operation: 37 years
Start Year: 1930
End Year: 1966
Decades: 1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969
Period of Operation: 1930s to 1966
Town: Texarkana
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: 1947: oak flooring, car stock, hardwood dimension. Later, Forest products, hardwoods
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Saw mill with a double band, resaw
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: E. A. Stewart, of Dallas, had extensive sawmilling in Arkansas and Texas sawmilling. Stewart operated mills in and north of Texarkana and Maud, and in the Texas counties of Houston, Anderson, Titus, Red River, Morris, and Bowie. Several of the Red River County mills were small, portable operations, thus they will be noted only here. Consolidating his holdings in 1946, Stewart established the E. A. Stewart Hardwood Lumber Company, with offices at Texarkana. In 1948, he acquired some of the holdings as well as the mill of T. W. Rosborough on the western limits of Texarkana. This mill was passed on to E. A. Stewart's son, Charles E. Stewart, when E. A. Stewart retired. The Texarkana business appeared in the 1957 edition of Nelson Samson's Directory of Wood-Using and Related Industries in East Texas as the E. A. Stewart Lumber Company. It appeared, in 1958, in Handbook and Directory of the Forest Industries. E. A. Stewart Lumber Company did not appear in the 1966 Directory of the Forest Products Industry, but an entry for Stewart's son, Charles E., did. Late in the 1950s, feeling the strain of decades in the business, Stewart sold his some of his mills and some timberlands. In 1966, he sold 7,600 acres, located in Red River and Cass counties in Texas and Miller County in Arkansas, to International Paper Company. The Newtown Mill was dismantled and the machinery sold. The lumberman continued to direct a small lumber yard in northern Dallas until his death in 1977.
Research Date: MCJ 03-07-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson