follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: JA-14
Corporate Name: Burton McDonald Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Burton McDonald. E. E. McDonald Lumber Company.
Location: Kirbyville at Kaysee and Martin at tracks
County: Jasper
Years in Operation: 22 years
Start Year: 1945
End Year: 1966
Decades: 1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969
Period of Operation: 1945 to 1966
Town: Kirbyville
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: In 1947, rough lumber. In 1966, rough and dressed lumber, crossties, and other manufactured products.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Probably gasoline or diesel
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000: 1947
Capacity Comments: In 1947, 25,000 feet daily with two mills
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Two portable sawmills in 1947
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: Ernest Elijah McDonald (see various entries in data base) had been sawmilling since 1908. He operated mills at Rebecca, in San Augustine County, in 1908; at Bleakwood in Newton County from about 1928 to 1942; and at New Caney in Montgomery County from 1943 to 1945. The E. E. McDonald Lumber Company relocated to Kirbyville, in Jasper County, in 1945. McDonald and his sons Burton, Melvin, and H. L. operated two portable sawmills, one of 10,000 feet capacity and the other of 15,000 feet. In 1947, the firm had a commissary (in which the public could also shop), and did its own logging with twelve trucks, five teams, and two tractors. The weekly payroll of $4,000 took care of fifty to seventy-five workers. By 1966, Burton McDonald owned the company, employing less than fifty men This was the E. E. McDonald Lumber Company at Kirbyville noted in The Jackson Journal article of November 14, 1947.
Research Date: MCJ 12-07-95
Prepared By: M. Johnson